Thursday, April 25, 2013

30 Days of Books

Day 21: Favorite Book from my Childhood

Young Childhood: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

I checked these out of the library over and over. I loved how Mrs. Piggle Wiggle solved the problems of difficult children with creativity and humor. With her upside down house and love of children, she was a woman I always wanted to meet.

Slightly Older Childhood: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

This puzzle mystery was my 6th-grade obsession. To this day I can tell you where it was located in my elementary school library. It's about a dead man, a will, an apartment building full of suspects and/or possible heirs, a mad bomber, and an amazing protagonist named Turtle. Love, love, love this book. And it holds up well as an adult.



Day 22: Book I'm Currently Reading

Check the side of my blog :) I always read more than one book at a time. I just started last night Delia's Shadow by Jamie Lee Moyer, a ghost story/mystery/historical set in San Francisco in 1915. Atmospheric and lovely . . . but you can't read it until October. (I got an advanced copy from my agent, who is also Jamie's agent.)



Day 23: My Guilty Pleasure

Trashy magazines

People, Entertainment Weekly (which are more downmarket rather than truly trashy . . . when I'm really tired and traveling, you may find me with a copy of Us.)



Day 24: A Book I Wish More People Would Read

The Bible

Not for spiritual reasons, but simply to have a cultural reference that is fast disappearing in today's society. So much of western literature has roots in the stories of the Bible. And for the sake of extraordinary language, read the King James version. It was written just after Shakespeare's day and the poetry is exquisite.




No comments:

Post a Comment