Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 25: Favorite Book I Read in School

Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

Read this in my Victorian novels class in college and fell in love with Trollope's detailed portraits of clerical life and society. Funny, sharp, opinionated characters in this satire of church politics. If you want to wallow in a big, fat Victorian novel, Trollope is a good place to start.


Day 26: A Book that Changed My Opinion on Something

How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

This didn't so much change an opinion as bestow one on me. A most decided opinion about the wonders of the Irish religious houses in the Middle Ages who nearly singlehandedly preserved what we retain of Western civilization by copying manuscripts that were rapidly being destroyed on the continent. If you have the slightest interest in books or history, run to read this one.


Day 27: The Most Surprising Plot Twist

Seriously? A question designed to ruin a book's experience for someone who hasn't read it? I guess I'll mention a classic:  The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. And that's all I have to say on the matter.


Day 28: Favorite Title

 Angus, Thongs, and Full-Front Snogging by Louise Rennison

A sort of YA Bridget Jones' Diary, this book has lines so funny that, while listening on audiobook in the car, I very nearly crashed because I couldn't see through the tears of hysterical laughter streaming down my face.


Day 29: A Book Everyone Hates But I Like

I'm pretty sure we covered this one with Twilight :)


Day 30: Favorite Book

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

I find it most difficult to explain the books that mean the most to me, because they become more than a story happening somewhere else--they become entwined with my own experiences and emotions. The story of a failed first contact mission to an alien planet in the mid-21st century, The Sparrow is dark and tragic and beautiful and full of love for God and His creations and the nature of faith and despair. It's not for everyone. But it is for me, from the very first page and the chilling foreboding of the single line: "They meant no harm."

Thank you for those who followed along and endured the fitful nature of my postings. And a great thanks for Dolorosa on Live Journal, where I found the 30 Day Book Meme. If you want to see the topics in one place, here's the link. 


No comments:

Post a Comment