Sunday, April 7, 2013

Days 6 & 7

Day 6: A Book That Makes You Sad

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

This is also a book that makes me happy. But a story about two teens who fall in love while dealing with cancer (one of them terminal) can hardly NOT be sad.

But it's well worth the sadness for the beauty and humor and depth of relationships in Green's book. FAULT IN OUR STARS is the best book I read last year and, considering how many awards it has won, it's not necessary to have had a child with cancer to appreciate it's wonder.


Day 7: A Book That's Overrated

This is a question bound to get me in trouble somewhere. And tricky. Just because a book doesn't work for me doesn't mean it's not well worth every praise for someone else. I suppose I can use a classic, since the author is dead and unlikely to be bothered by my opinion. So I'll say AS I LAY DYING by William Faulkner. I don't get Faulkner. I don't get the whole southern literature thing. And I certainly don't get stream-of-consciousness.

And that's all I'm going to say about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment