Monday, November 12, 2012

Signs I'm Drafting

1. I whine non-stop: "I hate drafting . . . I don't want to draft . . . oh my gosh, just write yourself already . . . blah, blah, blah, I know this is  my dream job but but drafting is the nightmare part . . ."

2. My house is clean.

3. I have cooked actual meals for my children on days other than Sunday.

4. I've watched almost the entire first season of The Vampire Diaries in two weeks' time.

5. I sewed Halloween costumes.

6. Did I mention my house is clean?

7. I am up-to-date on all the latest celebrity gossip via trashy magazines.

8. I took my 16-year-old to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. (Awesome movie, by the way.)

9. I've been to lunch with old friends and new friends and visited brand-new babies and hosted book club.

10. I'm anxiously awaiting edit notes on book two, because then I can take a break from drafting without feeling guilty. (Clearly from the above list I am taking plenty of breaks from drafting, but I feel guilty about it. Really.)

Is it because I'm tired of my characters? Because book three will be the end and I don't want to go there? Because I'm much better at revisions than first drafts? Because I'm paralyzed by the blank pages and the fear that this time I won't be able to find anything to fill them with?

I guess it doesn't matter--the draft must be written. And if I get lots of other stuff done along the way, so much the better. At this rate, I'll have Christmas prepped and ready to go by Thanksgiving :)


No comments:

Post a Comment