Sunday, January 2, 2011

Are You Kidding?

2010 is over? But I wasn't done yet.

I didn't achieve world domination. I didn't even achieve familial domination. I didn't become J.K. Rowling. I didn't buy a house in London. I didn't Save the Whales. I'm not sure I saved my sanity. I only read 98 books. 98! Do you realize what that means? I read 16 fewer books than I did in 2008 when Jake had cancer. Either I am slowing down with age or I am just the world's worst mother of a sick child.

Still, 2010 wasn't a total loss. In no order at all, the highlights of my year (which will likely bear little relation to the highlights of your year):

-Signed with Tamar Rydzinski at the Laura Dail Literary Agency

-Got a revision request from an editor at a major publishing house (nope, still haven't heard)

-Endured the Forced March of the Monuments in Washington D.C. during 100 degree heat and in the midst of the Cherry Blossom Festival (note to self: cherry blossoms are the root of all evil)

-Added to our family stock of "you had to be there" phrases (The bagel! Winnipeg! The cat! Germany lost? Kind of cool and kind of creepy.)

-Got a psychiatrist. And a new medication. (Trust me--that is most definitely a highlight!)

-Two road trips with Katie, only one of which involved four hours in a mechanic's waiting room.

-Started sharing shoes with Emma. When she was still 11.

-Got to hear "Jake's scans are clear" three times this year.

-Editing Matt's college application essays. Even though I sometimes think I'll stick my head into his bedroom and find the little blonde three-year-old with Tawny Scrawny Lion tucked in next to him.

-Watched Spencer become a green belt in karate. The kid is seriously dangerous.

-Went to KISS.

-The above is not a typo. I actually consider watching Gene Simmons set fire to things as a highlight.

-Survived a long year of job uncertainty (Chris's, not mine. There's barely a job in writing, let alone certainty.) I'll let you in on a secret: Odds are good I will be posting from a different state before the year is out.

-Counted four healthy, happy children tonight and one husband who loves me in spite of the above-mentioned psychiatrist. (Seriously, I think Chris loves me because of my quirks, not in spite of them. But that may just be the medication talking.)

2011 is going to be great. I have no idea what's going to happen.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment